Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Earthquake and The Beautiful New Zealand

This morning I heard the news there have been earthquakes in New Zealand. I remember hearing this with my colleagues from New Zealand. According republika.com death toll from the earthquake that struck the city of Christchurch, New Zealand, Tuesday, rising to 75 from the previous 65. Around 300 people were declared missing while the number of those who are trapped behind rubble is unknown.

Wednesday morning, 15 people trapped in the ruins of the 15 storey office building was saved. "They're still alive. We continue to look for people who are trapped, "said a spokesman for the local fire department in a radio interview.

Previously, local media reported one person put out alive from under the ruins of an adjacent building.

Prime Minister of New Zealand, John Key, said the government has declared a state of emergency nasisonal. "This (emergencies) make this country focus to mitigate the impact of disasters in the shortest time possible," he said after a cabinet meeting following the earthquake measuring 6.3 magnitude.

At least eight buildings collapsed in the earthquake, including the iconic Christchurch Cathedral stone buildings in downtown.
In my memory, New Zealand is a country that is still filled with green carpet of plants with a cool climate, even my dream to travel there made me realize that things in nature had to be on guard and be properly maintained. I am very concerned over this and hope my friend Hillary will be in good condition .. amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment